Search · New topic · Post Reply
close move delete merge
to favorites print search email
chillee151: Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ Palermo DH-E6 stepping
chillee151
unregistered
posted December 24, 2005 12:53 AMeditreply w/quoteIP

Hello,

I have a Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ Palermo DH-E6 stepping and I can't seem to find a vid setting lower than 1.075 for the 4x fid setting. Is this a limitation of the program or the cpu? I haven't been able to find any info reguarding min vid settings for the sempron on the net.

Thanks for your time.

Dmitri Besedin

posted December 24, 2005 11:26 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

chillee151
I have a Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ Palermo DH-E6 stepping and I can't seem to find a vid setting lower than 1.075 for the 4x fid setting. Is this a limitation of the program or the cpu?

This is a CPU limitation. Actually, you may see the lowest supported FID/VIDs in the "Minimal" boxes of the "General" tab.

Sempron Mobile Owner
unregistered
posted January 24, 2006 11:45 PMeditreply w/quoteIP

So in terms of actual hardware, the CPU will not function properly below 1.075?

Sempron Mobile Owner
unregistered
posted January 25, 2006 12:05 AMeditreply w/quoteIP

Also if I were able to run the 8.0x multiplier at 1.075V would there be a point to even underthrottle (since it will stay at the same voltage)?

Also the advanced settings seem rather interesting. I notice there's a "Northbridge Low Power Enable" option. But I thought AMD K8 processor motherboards lacked a northbridge since the CPU actually has an integrated memory controller.

Also what's considered a 'revision E' processor?

Dmitri Besedin

posted January 25, 2006 08:56 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Sempron Mobile Owner
So in terms of actual hardware, the CPU will not function properly below 1.075?

It will... however, it can't go below that value.

Also if I were able to run the 8.0x multiplier at 1.075V would there be a point to even underthrottle (since it will stay at the same voltage)?

What is "underthrottle"? The voltage has NOTHING to do with throttle!

Also the advanced settings seem rather interesting. I notice there's a "Northbridge Low Power Enable" option. But I thought AMD K8 processor motherboards lacked a northbridge since the CPU actually has an integrated memory controller.

Funny Do you REALLY believe that the advanced CPU settings can tweak with motherboards? . You should know, for AMD K8 platforms, "Northbridge" is the very integrated memory controller you're talking about . However, seems like it's low-power capabilities cannot be enabled in a plain C1/HALT state, and require the OS to put the CPU into deeper (C2 or even C3) states. You can enable this option for C2/C3, however, there's no way to tell whether these states will actually be used.

Also what's considered a 'revision E' processor?

New 90-nm cores are all of revision E, I believe. Technically, revision E is indicated by the "new" CPU signature having a look of 0x20Fxx, which gives an "extended model" ID of 0x2x.

Sempron Mobile Owner
unregistered
posted January 25, 2006 07:21 PMeditreply w/quoteIP

But what is limiting that voltage level? Is it caused by the motherboard? Or the CPU not allowing itself to function at anything below that?

Is there a good reason to even allow multiplier adjustments if the highest clock speed is already able to run at 1.075V?

I'm sorry, my english isn't that great.

chinna
unregistered
posted January 26, 2006 01:32 AMeditreply w/quoteIP

Voltage is not everything. Power consumption depends on Voltage and Clock speed.
So Processor running at 1600Mhz@1.075 consumes more power than 800Mhz@1.075, so running it at lower speed make it cooler and may help little( may be very little) battery life.

android2000

posted January 26, 2006 03:48 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

My Mobile Sempron 2800+ runs 800Mhz @ 0.800V
It's a Palermo core revision DH-D0?

Dmitri Besedin

posted January 26, 2006 06:15 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Sempron Mobile Owner
But what is limiting that voltage level? Is it caused by the motherboard? Or the CPU not allowing itself to function at anything below that?

The CPU itself limits it, beginning with revision E cores. Sad but true.

Is there a good reason to even allow multiplier adjustments if the highest clock speed is already able to run at 1.075V?

Yes, there is.

chinna
Voltage is not everything. Power consumption depends on Voltage and Clock speed

Yes, right you are. P ~ F and P ~ V^2

android2000
My Mobile Sempron 2800+ runs 800Mhz @ 0.800V
It's a Palermo core revision DH-D0?

Not sure if it's rev. D core, but, certainly, this is a core prior to rev. E

George_W
unregistered
posted February 09, 2006 11:46 AMeditreply w/quoteIP

mine is mobile Sempron 2600+, when try with RM 1.8, even in "General" tab indicate the minimal 4.0 - 0.800V, but actually when I P-state to 0.950V it already freeze, try several times and found out that I need to set to at leat 0.975V to 1.000V, to have a stable run.

is it that will reduce the RM saving effect?

and what's the difference in the "advance" default state "mobile discrete " and "mobile UMA"?

Dmitri Besedin

posted February 10, 2006 07:53 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

George_W
but actually when I P-state to 0.950V it already freeze, try several times and found out that I need to set to at leat 0.975V to 1.000V, to have a stable run.

Yes, that's OK. No CPU is guaranteed to run at 0.8V. It's only the lowest value you can program into its registers.

is it that will reduce the RM saving effect?

Yes, but not much.

and what's the difference in the "advance" default state "mobile discrete " and "mobile UMA"?

The first one is for discrete graphics (e.g., ATI Mobility Radeon chip with its own video memory), the second one is for the integrated graphics. In theory, the one for discrete graphics can achieve somewhat more power savings.

Your reply:

Name, password, icon:    without smilies

Search · New topic · Post Reply
close move delete merge
to favorites print search email
Hop to:  

www.RightMark.orgRightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA)D3D RightMark (D3D RM)CPU RightMark (CPU RM)

Copyright rightmark.org, 2001-2004
Development and technical support: MN, © 2000-2003