HP Laptop overheating
Search · New topic · Post Reply
close move delete merge
to favorites print search email
Lan: HP Laptop overheating
Lan

posted March 19, 2008 07:29 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Hello!

I have a HP Compaq nc8430 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz processor, 1GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB. It's about 1.5 years old I would say.

I never really measured temperatures before but few weeks ago I tried RMCPU and I was shocked at how hot CPU gets. When I turn on computer it starts at ~50C and it ends up at around 64-66C - that's with absolutely no program running. If I browse on internet and have a torrent downloading in the background, or watching a movie the temperature goes up to 70-80C.

I mostly use laptop for drawing (Autocad, Photoshop, 3DMax, ...) and sometimes I play some pc games. As I load the game CPU's temperature goes all the way up to 100C in very short time. It even went to N/A for a moment. :S
I tried to use RMCPU to throttle CPU's clock to half the speed so temperature falls to about 85-90C and then it rises again to 100C and so on...

The game I was playing was 2-3 years old and even on medium/low settings with 1280x800 resolution. I don't even want to try some newer games now.

According to info from Intel website "max. Cover Temp" for this CPU is 100C (This is same as core temperature?).

My laptop is in a rather cool room and it sits on homemade "device" so it's lifted above the desk for about 1.5 cm. The desk is from thick wood.
Fan is working all the time (I have option in BIOS so that fan is always on when on AC power).

I tried cleaning fan and keyboard (where the air gets in). And it made no difference.. I am afraid to took apart the whole laptop and take out fan and heatsink to clean them up more effectively.

Also... when CPU gets close too 100C the air coming out of fan is not really that hot... It's even coming out at rather slow speed (I remember when I was playing Crysis sometime ago the air was very hot and it was blowing out at considerably higher speed).

I tried to use SpeedFan and it shows same temperatures... however it doesn't detect any fans so I can't change fan speed.

I am not sure what to do now... What is causing this extremely high temperatures? Dust? Could temperature meter be wrong? I never really experienced any shutdowns or resets or blue screens. Sometimes a pc game would freeze tho and nothing happens, so I need to turn off PC and restart it (this happens like once a month or something - is this overheating symptom as well?).

Should I take laptop to computer service and let them clean it?

Should I change clock settings or voltage settings in RMCPU? If so... how and what to change? I have like no idea what most of the options do, so I don't want to play with voltage or any other CPU settings on my own.

DA

posted March 19, 2008 10:02 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Seems like the heat from the CPU is not effectively transferred to the heatsink. If you have access to the heatsink (eg easy removal by unscrewing) then you might want to invest in a small tube of Arctic Silver 5 (careful, conductive!) or Arctic Cooling MX-2 (non-conductive). However if the heatsink and CPU are separated by a thermal pad, you might want to remove the old thermal pad and check if there is enough contact before using thermal paste. Otherwise you'll need to get a new thermal pad instead.

Larry Lazar

posted March 23, 2008 06:37 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

This is my second HP Laptop and both get real hot.
Like you I installed speed fan. And the right mark cpu
utility.
Are you really meaning 100 degrees Celcius and not F?
Mine gets hot and shows 122 degrees F.
I consider that too hot.
When my laptop is at 122 F it is only 50 C.

I just took out my old fan. It is a large fan and a smaller
one. The small one was not turning.
You can go into HP and get service manual of how to take
it apart. Not hard.
Just lable all of the screws. Almost all are different sizes.
I mean lable each screw.
It took me 1 hour to replace the fan.
Get the special CPU grease from Radio Shack. The goodstuff.
I think it has silver in it to transfer heat.
The new fan got the temp down to 122 F 50 C.
Still too hot.
My desktop stays at 105 F.
So I am trying to use this software to lower the electr power,
but not sure what I am doing.
Have you figured it out?
Larry ldlazar@hotmail.com

quote:
Lan:
Hello!

I have a HP Compaq nc8430 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz processor, 1GB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB. It's about 1.5 years old I would say.

I never really measured temperatures before but few weeks ago I tried RMCPU and I was shocked at how hot CPU gets. When I turn on computer it starts at ~50C and it ends up at around 64-66C - that's with absolutely no program running. If I browse on internet and have a torrent downloading in the background, or watching a movie the temperature goes up to 70-80C.

I mostly use laptop for drawing (Autocad, Photoshop, 3DMax, ...) and sometimes I play some pc games. As I load the game CPU's temperature goes all the way up to 100C in very short time. It even went to N/A for a moment. :S
I tried to use RMCPU to throttle CPU's clock to half the speed so temperature falls to about 85-90C and then it rises again to 100C and so on...

The game I was playing was 2-3 years old and even on medium/low settings with 1280x800 resolution. I don't even want to try some newer games now.

According to info from Intel website "max. Cover Temp" for this CPU is 100C (This is same as core temperature?).

My laptop is in a rather cool room and it sits on homemade "device" so it's lifted above the desk for about 1.5 cm. The desk is from thick wood.
Fan is working all the time (I have option in BIOS so that fan is always on when on AC power).

I tried cleaning fan and keyboard (where the air gets in). And it made no difference.. I am afraid to took apart the whole laptop and take out fan and heatsink to clean them up more effectively.

Also... when CPU gets close too 100C the air coming out of fan is not really that hot... It's even coming out at rather slow speed (I remember when I was playing Crysis sometime ago the air was very hot and it was blowing out at considerably higher speed).

I tried to use SpeedFan and it shows same temperatures... however it doesn't detect any fans so I can't change fan speed.

I am not sure what to do now... What is causing this extremely high temperatures? Dust? Could temperature meter be wrong? I never really experienced any shutdowns or resets or blue screens. Sometimes a pc game would freeze tho and nothing happens, so I need to turn off PC and restart it (this happens like once a month or something - is this overheating symptom as well?).

Should I take laptop to computer service and let them clean it?

Should I change clock settings or voltage settings in RMCPU? If so... how and what to change? I have like no idea what most of the options do, so I don't want to play with voltage or any other CPU settings on my own.

Pepo

posted April 02, 2008 01:50 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Lan

My Acer notebook is configured equivalently. The CPU temperature also behaved similarly and since sommer it was getting just worse. I gad to operate at very low frequencies in order to suppress annoying fan noise. When loading both CPU and GPU (CPU, GPU and possibly some other heating stuff on the mainboard share one heatsing and fan), the temperature was jumping over 90C - therefore I've set a limit event at 85C in the Pro features to throttle the frequency, until the temperature gets lower.

Finally I had to open the notebook case and found few dust bunnies on the inner side of the cooling ribs, blocking maybe 1/3 of the air flow. I took them out and additionaly cleaned the area between single ribs with inter-tooth brush.

Now: even when idle, it also never gets under 50C under usual room temperatures (with fan running on the lowest sped). Under full CPU load, it gets to around 65C (second fan speed), with additional GPU load the temp goes somewhere to around 70C (and fan revolutes on the third speed). Maybe it will get worse during hotter summer days.

Peter

Vlad Sharanhovich

Web-page
posted April 05, 2008 09:02 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

I have HP tx2000 with AMD Turion x2 and in idle state temp is around 40C. Can be even lower if I undervolt upto .7V. Max temp for this CPU in 92C, but mine nether gets even close. I set max FID/VID to 12x 1.1V, while stock voltage is 1.25V, so this helps to lower the max temperature at high load dramatically.

AndreAPL

posted April 19, 2008 02:54 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

You should look for a bios update for that.
I bought a HP G7000 series (europe) and had same problem (but in my case 70-80&#186 . Was the fan that wasn't working as it should. A bios upgrade and now works fine (60º Max).

Your reply:

Name, password, icon:    without smilies

Search · New topic · Post Reply
close move delete merge
to favorites print search email
Hop to:  

www.RightMark.orgRightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA)D3D RightMark (D3D RM)CPU RightMark (CPU RM)

Copyright rightmark.org, 2001-2004
Development and technical support: MN, © 2000-2003