Profile · Register · Preferences · FAQ · Search · Favorites · Last active topics
RightMark Forums » RightMark Audio Analyzer »
How can I use SPDIF inputs and outputs on Emu 0404 USB ?
Search · New topic · Post Reply
close · move · delete · merge
to favorites · print · search · email
Charles Peterson: How can I use SPDIF inputs and outputs on Emu 0404 USB ?
Charles Peterson

posted January 21, 2008 06:21 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

I would like the use the SPDIF digital input and output on my Emu 0404 USB to test DACs and ADC's. This Emu does not provide a "patchlink" interface, only a very simple controller that lets you set the sampling rate. The Emu documentation says that you can only use the digital input and output through a "multichannel" application like the included Cubase SE. But it doesn't seem like I can select the digital input and output from the RightMark analyzer. I can only select the Emu unit itself, which means the analog inputs and outputs. On the Emu box itself, there is only a control which enables "direct monitoring" of the analog inputs at the digital output, which is not what I want to do.

Somehow, the author of the Digit Life review was able to use the Emu digital input and output, but he doesn't say how.

Edward West

posted January 21, 2008 08:31 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

Hi Charles,

I have the E-mu 0404 USB, and I have a similar interest - to test digital and analog devices with RightMark. To access the 0404's digital I/O channels you need to use the ASIO interface capability. The pro-oriented applications (like Cubase) provide the necessary support for the ASIO interface and allow you to precisely define the input and output channels that you want to use.

To access the ASIO interface with RightMark, you need to purchase a license for the 'Pro' version of the software. The 'Pro' version differentiates itself from the freeware version by providing full ASIO interface support. I have purchased a license for the Pro version, which cost me about US $125.

The other option is to use RightMark to create the test signal, play and record that signal with another application and then analyze the resulting file with RightMark. I have succefully done this using the 'WaveLab' application that comes bundled with the 0404.

Unfortunately, I have been having a variety of problems getting the E-mu 0404 USB to play nice with my computers, and have had zero success getting the Pro version of RightMark to inteface directly with my 0404. I only get a chance to work on the problem about once a week, so progress has been slow. I am hopeful that I can resolve the problems soon, and get to the tests which I bought all this stuff for.

Edward

Charles Peterson

posted January 24, 2008 02:39 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

I have now tried using the "WaveLab Lite" that comes with the Emu 0404. There didn't appear to be any way to select the digital I/O until I selected ASIO. But when I do that, it forces and locks my emu into 44.1Khz sampling rate.

Is that a limitation of the Emu 0404 ASIO driver, or of "WaveLab Lite" ? That's pretty bad for doing testing, where you need 96Khz to run a good test. Though I'd face the same limitation if I recorded a CD and then used the digital output on a CD player.

I upgraded to the latest 2007 Emu 0404 drivers, and it didn't make any difference.

WaveLab Lite is also pretty finnicky, and I have to keep unchecking the "monitor" checkbox (which it keeps rechecking) in order to output digital and record analog at the same time, or else it locks up the output.

Jim Y

posted January 29, 2008 01:47 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

I haven't seen Wavelab for ages, but cheap "lite" audio software is often limited to 48Khz maximum at 16bit.

If you open a 96K file in Wavelab, will that work?
Will it also allow you to pick 96K from choosing "New" from the file menu? Opening an existing file or choosing a new format when creating a new file are often the only ways you can change the audio format in audio software.

Although Cubase is a multitrack audio + midi sequencer, there's no reason it can't record and play a stereo file just like a wave editor - but Cubase SE might also be too limited as to supported audio formats.

One commercial entry level prog that does now support up to 24bit 96K and ASIO is Sony Soundforge Audio Studio 9...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product…431&PageID=56

There are other possible programs - Magix Audio Studio, Cuckos Reaper...

Charles Peterson

posted February 12, 2008 11:13 PMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

quote:
Edward West:
Unfortunately, I have been having a variety of problems getting the E-mu 0404 USB to play nice with my computers, and have had zero success getting the Pro version of RightMark to inteface directly with my 0404. I only get a chance to work on the problem about once a week, so progress has been slow. I am hopeful that I can resolve the problems soon, and get to the tests which I bought all this stuff for.
Edward

Please let me know when and if you get the Pro version of Rightmark to interface with digital I/O on the 0404. Then I'll buy it.

Charles

heidy12

posted December 29, 2010 07:25 AMprofileeditreply w/quoteIP

I would like to use the SPDIF digital input and output on my Emu 0404 USB to test DACs and ADC's. This Emu does provide a "patchlink" interface,documentation I can only select the Emu unit itself, which means the analog inputs and outputs. On the Emu box itself, there is a control which enables "direct monitoring" of the analog inputs at the digital output, which is that i want to do.......thanks

Your reply:

Name, password, icon:    without smilies

Search · New topic · Post Reply
close · move · delete · merge
to favorites · print · search · email
Hop to:  

www.RightMark.orgRightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA)D3D RightMark (D3D RM)CPU RightMark (CPU RM)

Copyright © rightmark.org, 2001-2004
Development and technical support: MN, © 2000-2003